We’re 10 days away from NXT TakeOver XXV. It was time to build up a PPV that would obviously be a good one. The Viking Raiders decide to relinquish the NXT Tag Titles since they are moving to RAW and know nobody can beat them in NXT. Can Io Shirai be the woman who will defeat Shayna Baszler? Adam Cole is more than decided to grab the NXT title of Johnny Gargano’s waist. Tonight is Nygma time (again) and I want to hear the Roar from the Full Sail crowd…
We kicked off with NXT General Manager William Regal who announced the NXT Tag Team titles are indeed currently vacant. Regal said there’s a lot of teams worthy of the titles, so in two weeks at TakeOver XXV, it will be Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish, The Street Profits, Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch, and The Forgotten Sons in a Ladder Match for the titles.
Big NXT things happening this week:
- Matt Riddle attacked Undisputed ERA from the crowd when they attacked NXT Champion, Johnny Gargano.
- Mansoor defeated Sean Maluta
- Backstage, Regal was heard yelling at The Undisputed Era before sending the group out. Cathy Kelley asked Regal about an update, he said he doesn’t appreciate how Undisputed Era is conducting themselves but, at TakeOver XXV, Matt Riddle will take on Roderick Strong. Also, on tonight’s show, it will be Matt Riddle & Johnny Gargano vs. Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish.
- Tyler Breeze returned to NXT with a surprise for Velveteen Dream. Breeze said he’s home and much like Dream, he had everybody talking about him. Breeze said NXT feels a bit dull since he left, filled with cheap knockouts, but there can be only one Tyler Breeze. Dream let Breeze knows things are done a bit differently now, they want a real man, not a boy, especially not a boy who plays cops and robbers.
“Just because you couldn’t cut it on Monday and Tuesday nights doesn’t mean you get to come to NXT and demand a spotlight,” Dream added. Breeze said rather than “couldn’t hack it” let’s go more with “uninspired.” He continued that Dream and that title inspired him. Dream told Breeze, “How about a selfie with the champ?” Breeze agreed for one and said, “When you write your phone number on your trunks, and nobody calls you up, it’s because no one is interested.” Breeze then popped Dream in the face and headed off. Backstage, Breeze confirmed to Cathy Kelley he’s an NXT OG and just wanted to introduce Dream to an inspired Prince Pretty.
- Candice LeRae defeated Reina González. Post-match, Shayna Baszler, Jessamyn Duke, and Marina Shafir headed to the ring and ambushed LeRae. Io Shirai ran out to the ring with a kendo stick and went to work on all three women. She was able to first clear out Duke and Shafir, then nailed Baszler a bunch of times before she was pulled out of the ring.
- Bobby Fish & Kyle O’Reilly defeated Johnny Gargano & Matt Riddle, thanks to Cole and Strong’s interferences. Post-match, Cole and Strong jumped into the ring and attacked Riddle and Gargano some more. The other members of Undisputed Era held Gargano as Cole hit the last shot to the back of Gargano’s head. The group taunted the NXT Champion and stood tall.
MAIN EVENT THINGS
Cool episode… TakeOver XXV PPV is taking shape, Io Shirai is going hardcore, Undisputed Era is eviler than ever, Prince Petty is back in town. Next week on NXT, Mia Yim will take on Bianca Belair and KUSHIDA will square off with Drew Gulak. But, for sure, we’ll hear about TakeOver contestants again…
NXT TakeOver XXV Card:
- NXT Championship: Johnny Gargano (c) vs. Adam Cole
- NXT Women’s Championship: Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Io Shirai
- NXT North American Championship: Velveteen Dream (c) vs. Tyler Breeze
- Ladder Match For The Vacant NXT Tag Team Championship: The Forgotten Sons vs. The Street Profits vs. Oney Lorcan & Danny Burch vs. Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish
- Matt Riddle vs. Roderick Strong
All pics courtesy of WWE.com