Dolph Ziggler made a striking comeback last week when he viciously attacked WWE Champion Kofi Kingston. It seems like it was a good move as he was earned a Championship match at Super Showdown in Saudi Arabia. The chase for the WWE 24/7 title continues and seems to drive the whole roster completely nuts. Meanwhile, on Cruiserweight land, action, wrestlers and commentators are exceeding all expectation. Tonight is Nygma time (who said, again?), so let’s not waste any more time and see what went down as we check out SmackDown Live and 205 Live.
Big SmackDown Live things happening this week:
- Kofi Kingston defeated Kevin Owens in a Money in The Bank rematch. Dolph Ziggler was watching backstage.
- Backstage, 24/7 Champion R-Truth was telling Carmella about how people have been chasing him everywhere since he won the title, even at the dentist’s office. Truth fled when he heard Drake Maverick posting “Wanted” flyers everywhere.
- Heavy Machinery challenged Daniel Bryan and Erik Rowan for the SmackDown Live Tag Team titles. But it won’t happen in Oklahoma…
- Mandy Rose defeated Carmella.
- Backstage, Jinder Mahal attacking WWE 24/7 Champion R-Truth as a referee watched. He turned it around and fought Jinder off. A large group of Superstars chased Truth, including Matt Hardy and some of the Cruiserweights. Drake Maverick finally found Truth and chased him.
- Out came Shane McMahon, Elias and Drew McIntyre for a Shane McMahon Appreciation Night celebration. Elias sang, R-Truth came and Elias defeated him to become the new 24/7 Champion.
- Bayley defeated Lacey Evans. After the match, Bayley retreated with the title as Flair hit the ring. Flair talked trash while Bayley raised the title from ringside. Evans came from behind and attacked Flair, beating her down. Flair levelled Evans with a big boot. Bayley watched from ringside and smiled. Flair talked some trash and went for Evans again as referees got between them. Bayley laughed from the ramp.
- Backstage, Andrade and Zelina Vega told Sarah Schreiber Andrade said Finn Balor will find his true demon when he steps to Andrade at Super ShowDown for the WWE Intercontinental Title.
- Roman Reigns & R-Truth defeated Drew McIntyre & Elias, despite Shane’s interferences. After the match, Reigns’ music hit as he checked on Truth in the corner. Reigns hit another Spear on Elias after the match. Truth crawled over and covered Elias to take back the WWE 24/7 Title.
We kicked off 205 Live with Jack Gallagher and Humberto Carrillo watching playback from their victory against the Singh Brothers. Gallagher said he enjoyed teaming up with Carrillo, but that they have unfinished business…”I must know if I can defeat you one on one…and I’d like to find out…tonight.” Carrillo agreed, stating that it’ll be a pleasure to defeat Gallagher again.
Big 205 Live things happening this week:
- Mike Kanellis w/ Maria defeated Brian Kendrick.
- Backstage, Cruiserweight Champion Tony Nese was telling General Manager Drake Maverick he’s getting restless from not competing. Akira Tozawa walked up. Nese wanted him to be the new #1 contender. Maverick said he will consider the option.
- Ariya Daivari cut a promo. He said that last week’s main event was his chance to prove that he belongs at the top of the 205 division, but instead he got six stitches thanks to Oney Lorcan. “I will be responsible for Lorcan’s next set of stitches,” growls Daivari.
- Noam Dar defeated Mike Karma (aka Mike Sydal). Post-match, Dar got asked if this victory will get him back on track. Dar claimed he was never “off” track and said the only reason he would be off his game is from all the jet-lag from flying back and forth between 205 Live and NXT UK so he can be a star on two continents.
- Backstage, Drake Maverick was asked besides Tozawa, who else could the WWE Universe see challenging for the Cruiserweight championship. Before Maverick could answer, he saw 24/7 Champion R-Truth and began chasing him.
- Oney Lorcan cut a promo. He took responsibility for falling short in last week’s main event but takes credit for busting up Ariya Daivari. Lorcan said that Daivari looks a little unbalanced and offered to “even things out” the next time they meet in the ring.
- Humberto Carrillo defeated Gentleman Jack Gallagher. Carrillo offered a handshake, which Gallagher accepted. They shared a respectful embrace before Gallagher exited.
MAIN EVENT THINGS
This 24/7 title thing is about to kill every WWE show, like the Wild Card Rule. Lots of action, and very good action, but also lots of promos on 205 Live this week. SmackDown Live was better than last week, even if still messy. There was some build-up to the Saudi Arabia show and setting up some things (Bayley vs. Charlotte/Bayley vs. Charlotte vs. Lacey and Bryan & Rowan vs. Heavy Machinery) for later.
All pics courtesy of WWE.com