King of the Ring tournament, Clash of Champions, names can mean something but have a very different sound when they come into action. Who will be the new #1 contender for the Cruiserweight Championship? Who will advance on the Blue Brand in the King of The Ring tournament? Will Roman Reigns FINALLY understand he was ambushed by Daniel Bryan and Rowan? Tons of questions, so let’s not waste any more time and see what went down as we check out SmackDown Live and 205 Live, it’s Tuesday Night Nygma…
Big SmackDown Live things happening this week:
- Kofi came to hype his Clash of Champions rematch against Randy Orton. Orton appeared on screen and read a letter written by a fan, in fact, Kofi’s elder son. As Orton was in the same hotel Kofi’s family is, he said he could simply go pay him a visit. Kofi rushed to the back. He and Orton brawled in the gorilla. Big E later announced he would face Orton tonight.
- King of the Ring First Round Match: Ali defeated Buddy Murphy. Awesome match, they shook hands before and after the match.
- Bayley was backstage looking at the SmackDown Women’s Title when Ember Moon walked in. She mentioned Charlotte Flair, went on with props for Bayley and said the best woman won their match at SummerSlam. Lacey Evans mocked them, saying she is the real face of the division but Moon and Bayley just laughed in her face.
- The Miz vs Sami Zayn never happened. Miz finally issues a challenge to Shinsuke Nakamura for the Intercontinental Championship at Clash of Champions. Sami mocked him. Shinsuke destroyed him.
- Elias was backstage playing his guitar in Shane McMahon‘s office. Kevin Owens walked in and snatched the guitar. He asked where Shane was. Elias said Shane wasn’t here tonight. Owens thanked Elias and walked off with something on his mind.
- SmackDown Women’s Champion Bayley defeated Lacey Evans in front of her Clash of Champions opponent, Charlotte Flair.
- Rowan and Daniel Bryan told Kayla Braxton they are not going to leave this arena tonight until Reigns says he is sorry. Bryan and Rowan walked off.
- Randy Orton defeated Big E, thanks to The Revival. Scott Dawson and Dash Wilder launched Big E into a big RKO. They posed.
- Chad Gable replied to Sarah Schreiber about people, including Shelton Benjamin, saying he’s not fit for King of the Ring. Gable downplayed Shelton and his jokes and said after tonight is over, it will be Shelton looking up at him. Shelton walked up and made jokes on Gable’s height, acting like he can’t see him. Benjamin stared Gable down and walks off.
- WWE 24/7 Champion Elias was wearing the King of the Ring throne, robe, sceptre and crown. Elias went on about how he will be King of the Ring in a few weeks, how good he is and how he’s taken out WWE Legends. Kevin Owens suddenly appeared behind Elias. They brawled on the floor and in the ring until Owens laid down Elias with a Stunner. R-Truth appeared from the crowd. He had a referee. He entered the ring and covered for the pin but Drake Maverick pulled him out of the ring. Drake entered the ring and covered Elias, pinning him for the title.
- King of the Ring First Round Match: Chad Gable defeated Shelton Benjamin. Andrade and Zelina Vega were watching backstage.
- Roman Reigns came to the ring. Before Reigns could speak, Daniel Bryan and Erick Rowan appeared on the big screen, waiting for the two words – I’m sorry. Reigns asked fans if he should apologize and most say no. Reigns said, let’s check out this video and if he still needs to apologize, he will. Reigns showed us a video from the original attack attempt on SmackDown Live several weeks ago. There was a focus on the hooded man that looked like Rowan, and it was him. Bryan was furious. He asked Rowan what this is we’re seeing. Bryan slapped and yelled at Rowan. Daniel Bryan came to the ring to say he didn’t know anything about this. Bryan entered the ring but Reigns laid him out with a Spear.
Big 205 Live things happening this week:
- Ariya Daivari defeated Kalisto w/ Lince Dorado and Gran Metalik. Post-match, Daivari continued to assault Kalisto. Gran Metalik and Lince Dorado ran in to help. Daivari yelled to Dorado that he doesn’t need Metalik and Kalisto, and offered him a chance to join him. Daivari then left, with Metalik and Dorado helping Kalisto. Lucha House Party conversed with each other.
- Backstage, Tony Nese was asked about teaming with nemesis Drew Gulak last week. Nese said he’ll do whatever it takes to win back the Cruiserweight Championship, but added that he may need to change the way things are done. “Clearly, being the premiere athlete is not working out,” said Nese, who then walked away.
- The Singh Brothers promised to become the greatest 205 Live tag team in the division’s history.
- Humberto Carrillo defeated Oney Lorcan to become the #1 contender for the Cruiserweight Title. Cruiserweight champion Drew Gulak appeared on the screen. He congratulated Carrillo for earning his title opportunity, stating that his teachings were a big reason why. “I am not the same teacher I used to be Carrillo. I’m going to teach you about pain and punishment. If change is the rule…I…AM…THE…LAW.” Carrillo waved Gulak off and continued to celebrate.
MAIN EVENT THINGS
Two shows, two different comments… On 205 Live, only 2 matches, a lot of backstage segments and a student ready to beat his teacher. That could have been better, but so was the show. SmackDown Live was very interesting. If Ali vs Buddy Murphy was a marvel of a match, Gable vs Benjamin was meant to be the same. The fact is the match started 10 minutes before the end of the show so there was no hope to see the kind of match we could have expected them to offer. Bayley has improved a lot when Lacey Evans still has a lot to learn. Kevin Owens/Elias segment was funny when Orton one absolutely not. And, yes, I think Nakamura and Zayn can kill it on SmackDown Live and Roman Reigns’ way to say I’m sorry was perfect. And that, ladies and gentlemen, was art…
Nygma Note: Botox or nose surgery, but Charlotte Flair’s face is definitely not the same… Please, don’t let her smile, she may have some issues…
All pics courtesy of WWE