Since Homecoming in January 2019, Taya Valkyrie has done something no Knockout has ever done before. She is the longest-reigning Knockouts Champion ever. Some will say she defended it the controversial way, with the help of Johnny Impact and then John E. Bravo. The fact is Taya’s name and legacy is now written in Impact Wrestling’s history book. Will she prevail this week as she faces off Jordynne Grace for the Knockouts title?
On the menu this week, from Mexico City, Mexico, Michael Elgin will square off with Eddie Edwards in the second match of the Best of 5 Series. Mack is set to compete against Shera. Daga will face off Madman Fulton. And Rob Van Dam and Joey Ryan will square off. So no more words, let’s get ready for some action, but your French Enygma Steph way, of course…
The Nygma’s Chart of the Week
- Michael Elgin defeated Eddie Edwards in the second match of Best of 5 Series. Elgin 2 – Edwards 0.
- Gabby Loren tried to interview Taya, but she just said she’s ready. When Gabby said everyone‘s against her, she replied no one believed in her, but she did it. She won the title had the best reign ever and will retain tonight all by herself.
- Madman Fulton defeated Daga.
- Moose was getting a massage, ranting about Rhino. Rhino showed up, attacked Moose and towel whipped him. Moose ran away.
- Fallah Bahh w/ TJP defeated Ethan Page w/ Josh Alexander.
- Father James Mitchell warned Havok that Su Yung is after her. Susie appeared and Mitchell was happy to see her. He told her to come with them, as a family reunited. Susie had flashbacks, she had the rope with her and followed them.
- RVD w/ Katie Forbes defeated Joey Ryan.
- Su Yung choked Father James Mitchell with the ropes. He woke up in the Undead Realm and laughed, “Daddy’s home!”
- Johnny Swinger told Willie Mack he has his back tonight, but Willie says he doesn’t need his help.
- Willie Mack defeated Shera via DQ when Rohit Raju interfered. The Desi Hit Squad attacked The Mack after the match, Swinger made the save.
- Shera & Rohit Raju defeated Willie Mack & Johnny Swinger.
- Tessa was cutting a promo on Ace Austin being an asshole when Ace arrived. Ace told her she’ll never have Daddy’s approval, but he likes a girl with Daddy issues. Tessa attacked and they had to be separated.
- Jordynne Grace defeated Taya Valkyrie w/ John E. Bravo to become the new Impact Knockouts Champion.
The Nygma’s Nutcracker(s) of the Week
– Michael Elgin vs Eddie Edwards – Match #2
Edwards attacked and they traded right away until Elgin hit a Saito suplex into a crossface. Edwards made the ropes. Edwards fought of the powerbomb, so Elgin followed with strikes until Edwards hit a German into a cradle. They traded, Edwards followed with a dragon screw in the ropes and headed up top. He went for a missile dropkick but Elgin turned it into a powerbomb. Elgin delivered elbow strikes, lighting up Edwards, and dumped him. He followed and they traded on the floor until Elgin suplexed him to the apron.
Back in, Edwards was down, he tried to fire back, but Elgin shook it off and delivered more strikes. Edwards fired up but Elgin hit a German, a snapdragon and a lariat. They worked up top, Edwards countered out and they traded. The lariat and the Tiger Driver followed by Edwards. Edwards set and Elgin powdered, Edwards followed with the suicide dive. Back in the ring, Edwards followed with an enzuigiri, they worked up top and the avalanche RANA followed. They traded, Elgin transitioned into a crossface, but Edwards cradled him. Edwards hit a German suplex but Elgin replied with the buckle bomb and the Elgin Bomb for the win.
– Impact Knockouts Championship Match: Taya Valkyrie (c) vs Jordynne Grace
Bravo was at ringside. Taya attacked at the bell, delivering strikes and clotheslines and Bravo then choked out Grace. Taya followed with the double knees and celebrated. Post break, Taya was still in control laying the boots to Grace. Bravo choked her out again, more boots by Taya and Grace finally fired back, posted Taya and followed with a German as Taya powdered. Suicide dive by Grace, she headed up top and Bravo shoved her off as Taya followed with ground and pound. Bravo interfered again and Taya followed with kicks. Grace fired back, knee strike by Taya but she ran into a spinebuster. They traded, Grace took control and followed with a slam and another. The Michinoku Driver followed. They worked to the apron, knee strike by Taya. She followed with kicks and powerbombed Grace onto the steps.
Taya looks for a count-out and then worked her over on the floor. Taya took her to the ramp and hit The Road to Valhalla. Taya back in the ring looked for the count-out but Grace made her way back in. Taya headed up top, Grace pulled her down and then hit a muscle buster. Taya fought of the Grace driver and countered into an armbar. Grace fought of and countered into a crossface. Bravo pulled her to the ropes right in front of the ref. Vader bomb by Grace, Grace follows but Bravo pulled the ref to the floor. Grace attacked, Taya accidentally speared Bravo and Grace hit a clothesline. Grace went up top, Bravo covered up Taya so Grace hit the Senton onto him. The Grace Driver finished it.
The not-Nygma’s Moment(s) of the Week
The Lollipop and Baby-Oil Nygmalicious Moment of The Week
Joey Ryan came up short. RVD has to touch It but was able to counter the dick flip for the win. I’m sure he felt the blow and his hand was swollen. One thing is sure, his lips were not swollen when it was time to car-wash Katie Forbes’ mouth (you call that a kiss?).
The Nygma’s Awards of the Week
– Taya Valkyrie
I’ve been reviewing Impact Wrestling weekly episodes for nearly 3 years and I often noticed how often the company was crowning new Champions. Taya Valkyrie’s reign had lasted 401 days as the Knockouts Champion (377 if we rely on TV taping day). La Wera Loca had been a fabulous Champion, she had no problem to put her body on the line in Street Fights or Monsters Ball. Her reign could have lasted longer, I think that would not have been a problem. Then the company made its choice. What is sure, right now, is no one could take away from Taya Valkyrie what she had been able to accomplish.
So Elgin got his second win this week, which means he is one win away from a World Championship match or the Cup… Then let’s not turn a blind eye, that kind of stipulation is not made for a quick win 3-0. The idea is to go up to the fifth match and make the tension grow. And that’s exactly what Michael Elgin and Eddie Edwards are doing match after match. They make us look forward to the next match because the next is always better.
– Jordynne Grace
If there was supposed to be one woman to dethrone Taya Valkyrie, it was her. I am not trying to offend the Knockouts roster because each and every Impact female wrestler is so good, but Jordynne was the one. Since her debut more than a year ago, she has shown how her physical and mental strength could lead her to the top. Her feud with Taya Valkyrie had been on for months and, after everything she went through in this feud, the result of this week’s match was pretty much to expect. Jordynne Grace is our new Knockouts Champion and I’m sure she will be a great one. Jordynne, 23, joins Ace Austin, 22, and Tessa Blanchard, 24, on the list of the current Impact Champions (Ethan and Josh are 30 and 32…).
To be eNYGMAtic…
The magic recipe of a good show was there, action and promos and cinematic orchestra, but its equilibrium was not respected. We had one great opener, one great main-event, some good Susie/Su Yung segments… and a strange mess in the middle.
The association of Johnny Swinger and Willie Mack is so unorthodox. The Joey Ryan-RVD feud is not useful for any of them. The Rhino/Moose thing should find an end in a cage or whatever they want, as long as one definitely relinquish. Meanwhile, Fallah Bahh, Madman Fulton, Shera, Daga, were playing the game, and pretty well.
It was Impact’s last episode in Mexico, taped just after Hard To Kill. We so can feel this transitional effect. Next week, we will be in Las Vegas. Impact taped this weekend and, trust me, I will have tons of things to tell you the next few weeks… Good or bad, wait and see… On this “Nygma Knows How to Shut up” note, until next week, never EVER forget to stay #eNYGMAtic…
All pics, videos, and screenshots courtesy of Impact Wrestling and AXS TV. Photocollage custom made by @frenchnygma exclusively for @steelchairmag @vulturehoundmag.
Latest posts by Steph Franchomme (see all)
- The Daily Wrestling News Update: Samoa Joe Suspended, “Hangman” Adam Page Hero Of A Children Book (25/02/2020) - 26th February 2020
- The Daily Wrestling News Update: MLW, GCW, TNA/Impact Wrestling, AEW (24/02/2020) - 25th February 2020
- AEW EVP’s Matt And Nick Jackson Share Their Inspirational Story in New Memoir - 24th February 2020