Which barriers to break? Surprise your audience, the media, the business. Do some things no one was expecting you to, let people’s jaws fall when you decide to punch exactly where they will not expect it. Let them think when meanwhile you are working at becoming the greatest at the game. Don’t let anything or anyone walk on your shoes. Don’t pretend to be, just be.
On the menu this week, from Nashville, Tennessee, The North are putting the tag team titles on the line in the Deaner compound in Canada, against Cody Deaner and a partner od his choice. The two semifinals matches of the number one contender tournament are set, Trey vs Michael Elgin and Ace Austin vs Hernandez. Chris Bey will face off Cousin Jake. And Havok will square off with Kimber Lee once again. So no more words, let’s get ready for some action, but your French Enygma Steph way, of course…
The Nygma’s Chart of the Week
Josh Mathews and Madison Rayne were on commentary this week.
This week’s IMPACT was dedicated to the memory of Shad Gaspard and Hana Kimura.
- Ace Austin defeated Hernandez to advance to the finals of the tournament.
- Cody Deaner was heading to the Deaner Compound for his match.
- Backstage, Chris Bey was getting ready for his match. Johnny Swinger said that he’ll be in Bey’s corner tonight.
- The North made their way to the Deaner Compound in a limo. They couldn’t help but make fun of it.
- Michael Elgin reflected on his wins before his semi-finals match against Trey. He believed he will always be the #1 Contender until he beats Tessa Blanchard.
- Chris Bey w/Johnny Swinger defeated Cousin Jake. After the match, Johnny Swinger attacked Cousin Jake. Willie Mack ran down to the ring to help Cousin Jake out.
- Rohit Raju told Gia Miller nothing was next for him. Chase Stevens joined in on the interview. Raju wanted to know why guys like him take away his spotlight. Stevens called him out on his whining. Raju challenged Stevens to a match next week.
- Kimber Lee defeated Havok when Nevaeh got involved. Havok and Nevaeh attacked Lee after the match.
- Backstage, Tasha Steelz and Kiera Hogan confronted Kylie Rae but Susie was hearing from next door. Steelz and Hogan attacked Susie and Rae. A few flashes appeared on the screen of Su Yung.
- Backstage, Joseph Ryan ran into The Crist Brothers. He informed them that he has a match with Crazzy Steve next week. He wanted to invite both Dave and Jake to join him at ringside.
- At the Deaner’s compound, Cody revealed Wheels will be his partner. The referee was knocked out, The North unloaded a nutcracker on Wheels, the new referee was The North’s friend. Well, The North retained. After the match, the whole Cody family ran after The North.
- Backstage, TJP and Fallah Bahh were feeling like they are in the running towards competing for the Tag Team Championships. Wentz and Dez strongly disagreed with this statement. TJP then challenged them to match to see who will become the number one contenders for the Tag Team Championships.
- At The Treehouse, The Rascalz were hanging out before Trey’s match against Elgin. Moose found his way in and told Trey he should go after his Championship, and not Tessa’s.
- La Virtuosa Deonna Purrazzo is coming to Impact.
- At The Bar, John E. Bravo was talking to Rosemary about the things Taya Valkyrie made him do. But, Rosemary made him look on the bright side, she’s their ally.
- Trey defeated Michael Elgin to advance to the finals of the tournament. Sami Callihan interfered in the match with the ICU signal, costing Elgin the match.
The Nygma’s Nutcracker(s) of the Week
– Michael Elgin vs Sami Callihan
Michael Elgin sent Trey rolling off of him. Elgin and Trey reversed out of each other’s wristlocks. Trey tried to go for a takedown, but Elgin reversed the takedown with head scissors. Trey manoeuvred out of the head scissors and sent Elgin over with an arm drag. Elgin found his footing but Trey was just a tad quicker. Trey flew off the ropes with a RANA. On the apron, Trey set up for a moonsault, got caught, then countered it into a DDT. Trey sent him back into the ring. Elgin pulled Trey off the ropes and double hooked Trey down on the mat. Elgin cornered Trey and threw down a few chops. Elgin floored Trey with a strong right hand. Trey got up and fought with all this might with four strikes.
Elgin smashed him face-first on top of the turnbuckle. Elgin connected with a back elbow. Elgin landed another elbow towards Trey’s face. Trey fought back, Elgin started to look worn down. Elgin recovered in the corner but got rocked with an elbow/knee strike combination by Trey. Back from the break, Trey threw multiple forearms towards Elgin in the middle of the ring. Trey Matric-bent under a clothesline and took Elgin down. Elgin then caught Trey mid-air with a cutter. Trey climbed back up again. Elgin connected with a thunderous forearm. Trey was still in it with a superkick, Elgin replied with a superkick of his own.
Trey flipped Elgin over, Elgin countered it with a clothesline, nearly taking Trey’s head off. Trey connected with a combo of kicks and a bottom rope cutter. Trey and Elgin were up on the ropes. Trey sent Elgin flying with another RANA. After landing, Trey turned Elgin inside out. They both made their way back up on the ropes again. Trey connected a double knee takedown off the top rope. Trey headed up top again, Elgin countered once Trey fell. As Elgin tried to put this match away with an Elgin Bomb, Sami Callihan’s “ICU” logo popped up on the screen. Trey rolled the distracted Elgin up and won the match.
The not-Nygma’s Moment(s) of the Week
Nothing to say… Really
The Lollipop and Baby-Oil Nygmalicious Moment of The Week The Knickers And Turtleneck Moment of The Week
I said, cancelled! Well, let me think about it a little. The alliance of Joseph Ryan and the Crist Brothers is something I would have never thought about. Even if, for me, there’s nothing to cancel in his the brothers’ culture, quite strangely, that combination could work. It would be difficult for me to see Jake and Dave with a turtleneck but everything is possible in wrestling…
The Nygma’s Noticeable Facts of the Week
– Ace vs Trey
We were expecting a “big men” finals, that won’t be the case. Impact Wrestling once again chose to gamble and let his young seeds be the main event. Trey Miguel and Ace Austin will face off in order to have a chance to become the World Champion. Last time they were competing against each other, Trey’s mother and the X-Division Championship were involved. This time, Trey and Ace go one step higher because we talk about becoming World Champion. But, which World Champion, in fact? TNA or Impact?
– Deonna Purrazzo
Impact Wrestling already caught everyone by surprise when they announced the signing of Chris Bey. Once again, with Deonna Purrazzo, the company is striking very hard. At 25, she has been in the business for nearly 8 years. Some might remember her appearances on TNA in 2014, 2016 and 2017. This time, Purrazzo is there for good.
Here is her complete promo, “I am the Virtuosa. Do you even know what that means? Allow me to explain. I express outstanding technical ability. I have a cultivated appreciation for artistic excellence. Unlike the average human, I have been able to declutter my mind and access space previously ignored. To be truly virtuous, I have formulated the perfect equation for success which I implement with precision. A unique training that not only lies in technique, but in the movements between, allowing my reactions to not be within the stimulus, but to be within my subconscious knowledge. I am Deonna Purrazzo, the Virtuosa.”
– Sami Callihan
I told you last week he would not let Elgin win easily. Sami was very happy with his little interference yesterday night. He didn’t even have to appear, just these 3 letters “ICU” were enough to drive Michael Elgin crazy. Now, I can’t help but think of an unholy alliance between Callihan and Shamrock. Elgin did everything to reach the finals of the tournament and he came up short, but the ones he left on the side of the road could seek for revenge.
Sami Callihan was the guest of AfterShow, yesterday night after IMPACT, you can listen to him here.
– Back to the Compound
“Slow down, this ain’t no boneyard. He’s probably American, they all think they’re badass.” Some choose boneyards, some chose compounds… That was one hell of a crazy match, a good reminder of the fact cinematic wrestling is not something new and something other companies can say they are the creators of. The North, in this storyline, are showing us how good Cody Deaner is. He is a GIVER and he shows it, match after match. When some things were happening in Canada, meanwhile in Nashville, a lot of contenders are expecting a title shot… Get ready, North, because the South has never been hotter…
– Tasha and Kiera, Nevaeh and Havok, Kylie and Susie
Alliances were the master key of this episode. I talked about Joseph Ryan and the Crist brothers before, but others are in the making too. If Chris Bey seems not to be happy to have Johnny Swinger by his side, the Knockouts are allying themselves, for the best and for the worst. Nevaeh and Havok are ready for a path of destruction, Susie and Kylie try to keep the smile on their faces when Kiera and Tasha are doing everything to make them lose it. Could it be a sign of a possible resurrection of the Knockouts Tag Team Titles? I’m definitely pro…
To be eNYGMAtic…
You know the Nygma’s recipe by heart, action + cinematic orchestra + good promos = great episode. And yes, it was one. Backstage and promo moments were made to create something new. The match between Elgin and Trey was an instant classic because, despite two different styles, ages and attitudes, these men beat the hell out of each other and that was just excellent to watch. Add to this many alliances, some tension, a bit of compound, and some great action, and a flurry of possible storylines and new feuds suddenly got out of the wood. I have honestly nothing to say about this because that couldn’t be better.
Earlier this week, some talents like IMPACT Knockouts Champion Jordynne Grace or Joey Ryan stated they were on the road to Nashville. Could we imagine something new is happening with Impact Wrestling? New tapings, maybe? When you’re on such a good road, when you’re trending the way Impact is, killing the momentum would be something absolutely absurd. It’s time to capitalize on these successes to create new ones, continue to climb the ladder because the top has never been so close…
More than ever, take care, stay home unless you really have to go out, wear masks, and watch wrestling. On this “Nygma Is Free – Day 16 – And It’s Not True Freedom” note, until next week, never EVER forget to stay #eNYGMAtic…
All pics, videos, and screenshots courtesy of Impact Wrestling, Basil Mahmud, and AXS TV. Photocollage custom made by @frenchnygma exclusively for @steelchairmag.