It was a busy night that saw plenty of promos and interviews, with some big matches being made for the coming weeks. Tonight, however, saw a big main event that featured Kushida and MSK taking on Legado Del Fantasma. The love story between Dexter Lumis and Indi Hartwell continued, Toni Storm was on the warpath, Bronson Reed fought for a North American Championship opportunity, and Imperium faced Drake Maverick and Killian Dain. First off, Dakota Kai and Mercedes Martinez battled with Raquel Gonzalez watching on.
Dakota Kai W/ Raquel Gonzalez vs Mercedes Martinez
Kai and Martinez locked up, with the latter using her strength to beat Kai down. After some big clotheslines and a spinebuster, Kai fought back and hit a DDT, only to get a two-count. She kicked Martinez in the face as she rested in the corner and continued to control the flow of the match. Kai hit a backbreaker and almost got the pin. She missed a kick in the corner which allowed Martinez to take advantage, pounding Kai in the back and dropping her with a cliff-hanger. Kai connected with a big boot in the corner which sent Martinez outside.
Kai trapped Martinez with a wristlock, then grabbed her other arm and pushed her feet into her back. She wrapped her legs around Martinez’s waist, then stood up and locked in another wrist lock. Kai did a great job of controlling the action in the ring, wearing Martinez down with a succession of mat submission moves and devastating kicks. She grabbed Martinez’s head and drove it into her knees, but once again got a two-count.
The two slugged it out in the ring until Martinez hit a big forearm. She plunged chops into Kai’s chest and hit three double under hook suplexes in a row. As Kai rolled out the ring, Gonzalez ate a punch from Martinez. Back in the ring, Gonzalez attacked Martinez and threw her outside. She continued to assault her by throwing her into the barricades.
Winner: Mercedes Martinez (Via DQ) Rating: 7/10
Toni Storm vs Zayda Ramier
Before the match, Storm cut a promo about how Zoey Stark should be thanking her for putting her on the map. She said that every time she slapped the rookie (pointing at Ramier), she would imagine it was Stark. Storm booted Ramier in the face, then booted her after a whip into the ropes. She threw her across the ring then hit a basement clothesline onto the bottom rope, followed by a backbreaker submission. Ramier fought back but got caught with a German suplex. She continued to beat her down and was about to go for Storm Zero, but instead continued to attack her. Stark came out and distracted her which led to Ramier landing a shooting star press to pick up the win.
Winner: Zayda Ramier Rating: 6/10
Bronson Reed vs Austin Theory w/ Johnny Gargano, Candice LeRae, & Indi Hartwell
Both guys reversed each other’s submissions early on until Reed’s shoulder barged Theory away. He knocked him out of the ring whilst his feet were locked on the bottom rope, allowing Reed to run right at him. Back in the ring, Theory hit an elevated dropkick. Reed ran at him and Theory held the ropes to make him fall out the ring. As Theory distracted the ref, Gargano hit a superkick, followed by Theory hitting a splash to Reed outside. Back in the ring, Theory had Reed in a chin lock. Theory went for a standing elbow drop and missed. He got caught in a gorilla press by Reed, then ate a big splash in the corner and a chokeslam. Reed landed a standing senton, but Theory kicked out.
Theory rolled into a blockbuster and took Reed down. He tried to pick up Reed, but it was reversed into a Samoan drop. Theory hit a huge superkick, but Reed planted him with a suplex as both men lay on the mat. Dexter Lumis walked out and walked over to Hartwell, but she walked away. She got into the ring and Theory nearly knocked into her, but Lumis pushed her out of the way. Reed knocked Gargano off the apron then hit Theory with a clothesline, followed by a big splash on Theory to pick up the victory. Reed will face Gargano again for the North American Championship.
Winner: Bronson Reed Rating: 7.5/10
Imperium (Fabian Aichner & Marcel Barthel) W/ Alexander Wolfe vs Drake Maverick & Killian Dain
Dain and Aichner started things off. Barthel tagged in, but Dain continued to take out both guys. Maverick tagged in and hit a couple of dropkicks to chop down Barthel. Maverick connected with a hurricanrana, but Barthel threw him off the top turnbuckle. As the ref was distracted, Aichner hit a double boot into Maverick who was in the corner. Barthel and Aichner continued to beat down Maverick. Maverick fought back, but Aichner landed a big powerslam to knock the wind out of him.
Maverick almost got the pin until Barthel pulled him off the apron. Aichner booted Maverick in the back of the head. They continued to beat Maverick down, but Dain ran in and took them both out. He headed outside where Barthel booted him in the face. Wolfe was about to hit Dain but hesitated at the last minute. Barthel seemed annoyed as Maverick jumped over the ropes and attacked him. Dain was thrown into the steel steps as Imperium hit their finisher on Maverick to pick up the win.
Winners: Imperium Rating: 7.5/10
Legado Del Fantasma (Santos Escobar, Raul Mendoza, & Joaquin Wilde) vs MSK (Wes Lee & Nash Carter) & Kushida
Wilde was worked on by Kushida and MSK after being too cocky early on. He was able to tag in Mendoza and they double-teamed Lee. MSK booted Mendoza, then Carter kicked Escobar off the apron. Kushida hit a handstand kick on Wilde who fell off the apron onto his teammates. Escobar entered the fight against Carter. He booted him in the chest after a failed dropkick by Carter, then wore him down with a headlock. He knocked Carter out of the ring with a dropkick, but Carter was able to shove him into the announce table.
Back in the ring, Escobar was able to take Carter to the mat, bending his arm whilst trapping his head under his knee. Mendoza tagged in and continued the assault. He tagged in Wilde who wrenched Carter’s arm and sent him into the mat. Carter continued to be isolated by Legado Del Fantasma. Out of nowhere, Carter tagged in Kushida who took all three members of Fantasma out. MSK did the flip/push press. Kushida held the second rope up as MSK hit a double tope con hilo on Wilde and Mendoza. Escobar powerslammed Kushida through the announce table. Carter was thrown into the steel steps by Wilde.
Lee got caught with a dropkick by Wilde as he flipped through the air. Legado Del Fantasma all hit clotheslines on Lee in the corner. Escobar then hit a double knee into Lee followed by a suplex. Wilde was thrown onto Lee by Mendoza, but he kicked out. Lee managed to get rid of Wilde and Mendoza, then to evade a splash from Escobar. Carter climbed back onto the apron as Lee tagged him in. Carter took out Wilde and Escobar, but Mendoza booted him in the face. Kushida ate a Phantom Driver as Mendoza pinned Carter after they did their finisher. Utter destruction by Legado Del Fantasma.
Winners: Legado Del Fantasma Rating: 8.5/10
What Else Went Down
Ember Moon and Shotzi Blackheart were being interviewed about their match with the Robert Stone Brand and their feud with The Way. Franky Monet delivered some flowers to the champs that were apparently from Dexter Lumis.
– A video aired featuring Cameron Grimes in a jewellery store. He was trying to buy an expensive watch. Later on, he said he found the perfect watch that didn’t even go ‘tick-tock,’ saying Kross would hate it. Off-camera, someone said it was a nice watch, but it wasn’t a million-dollar watch. It was Ted DiBiase. Haha, finally.
– Grizzled Young Veterans cut a promo in the ring. Drake said MSK will defend the titles against everyone except them. Gibson called them ‘knobheads’ and continued to destroy them on the mic. Tommaso Ciampa and Timothy Thatcher interrupted. Ciampa said they shared some similarities such as being grizzled and veterans, and they also want a shot at the tag team titles. Thatcher started chanting the famous NXT UK chant about Gibson (shoes off if you hate Gibson), then they both attacked them. Brilliant.
– Drake Maverick and Killian Dain were being interviewed. Maverick said he’s watched wrestling for a long time. He said Dain was either going to attack him or leave him on his own in their match with Imperium. Dain quoted George Michael and said, “you’ve got to have faith.”
– Xia Li cut a promo in Chinese alongside Boa and Mei Ling.
– A video aired of Isaiah “Swerve” Scott in his studio. He said he was proud of Leon Ruff because he didn’t think he had it in him (attacking him a few weeks ago). He challenged Ruff to a Falls Count Anywhere match.
– Legado Del Fantasma cut a promo backstage about MSK and Kushida. They said they would make a statement, then reclaim their belts.
– Before his match, Bronson Reed was stared down by Johnny Gargano and Candice LeRae. As Reed headed to his match, Austin Theory popped out and asked what they were doing in the dark. Another funny segment that poked fun out of a wrestling cliché.
– LA Knight was interviewed by McKenzie Mitchell. He said Indi Hartwell was in love with him and not Lumis. Ever-Rise walked in after and asked Mitchell if she’d heard of their social media show, to which say gave an emphatic no.
– MSK and Kushida were being interviewed. Lee thanked Kushida for taking MSK under their wing. They said it was MS Kushida all night and all day.
– After his match, Theory was backstage with The Way. Gargano said it was Lumis’ fault Theory lost. They pushed Hartwell to do something about him, so she stormed off.
– It was announced Finn Balor would be back next week.
– Pete Dunne cut a promo about how he had the locker room shook. He talked about beating Kushida. He said he could defeat WALTER or Johnny Gargano. Dunne then said he didn’t fear Karrion Kross and could defeat him as well.
– As they made their way down to the ring for their match, Blackheart and Moon were savagely attacked by LeRae and Hartwell. The match didn’t go ahead.
– Adam Cole was being interviewed by Arash Markazi. He talked about his recovery after his match with Kyle O’Reilly. He said whether he was 100% or not, he was still better than the entire NXT roster. Cole talked about carrying Undisputed Era and NXT on his back. he said UE turned their backs on him. Markazi asked about O’Reilly being the new face of NXT, to which Cole obviously disagreed. He talked about Karrion Kross and how he thought he was good, but not great, but when he was ready, he’d go for him. Cole said whatever happened next, he would be the best version of himself yet. He then trashed Markazi for his interview. Kyle O’Reilly was then shown watching the interview. It’s not over.
– Next week, Blackheart and Moon would defend their titles against LeRae and Hartwell in a Street Fight. Leon Ruff and Isaiah “Swerve” Scott would also go one-on-one in a Falls Count Anywhere match.
– It was announced Raquel Gonzalez would defend her title against Mercedes Martinez in two weeks.
After The Bell
It was a busy night filled with interviews and various promos. As for the matches themselves, the standout was the main event. MSK were on fire, especially Wes Lee. Legado Del Fantasma were also amazing, and the victory made sense going forward. I’d presume Joaquin Wilde and Raul Mendoza would be next up to challenge MSK for the titles, with either Grizzled young Veterans or Tommaso Ciampa and Timothy Thatcher being next. Dakota Kai was impressive tonight, but the real news is Gonzalez facing Martinez in two weeks. Gonzalez will win, then hopefully we’ll get to see some other women challenge for the belt, like Xia Li, Sarray, or even Zoey Stark.
Adam Cole’s interview was great. He’s by far the best heel in NXT, and the fact O’Reilly was watching on means their feud is far from over. The Dexter Lumis and Indi Hartwell relationship became more complicated thanks to The Way, but I imagine it will all come good in the end. I’m so happy for Bronson Reed getting another shot at the North American Championship. He’d look good with some gold around his waist.
Stars of the Show: Legado Del Fantasma Overall Rating: 7.5/10
All images and videos courtesy of WWE