The Nygma is on board once again… I will go faster on this episode that was focused on the opening rounds of the King of The Ring and Queen Crown tournaments. Let’s dig into it…
- Before the show, King Nakamura did a royal gesture when he gave the crown back to Adam Pearce.
- Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville were standing there with a table for a contract signing. Sasha Banks was standing on top of the announce table as Bianca Belair made her way to the ring. Pearce said we’re here to make the Triple Threat for the SmackDown Women’s Title official for WWE Crown Jewel. The Man Becky Lynch then made her way to the ring. Lynch took a seat at her own table, which is set up at the entranceway, and said San Jose loves her, but who wouldn’t? She started taunting Banks and Belair. Becky warned that there will be a payback. Banks asked if Lynch missed her because she knows the fans do. Banks taunted them for her spotlight being bigger. Belair interrupted and said the only conversation we should be having is Banks signing the contract. Belair went on and said Becky wasn’t prepared at SummerSlam, just lucky. Belair bragged about how every big moment in 2021 has her name on it. Belair challenged Banks and Lynch to come in the ring now. Lynch and Banks didn’t move. Belair started tossing furniture out of the ring. Lynch brought up the 26-second win, tipped her own table over, and started marching to the ring. Banks took advantage and attacked Belair from behind. A big brawl followed, with Belair putting Becky and Banks through the table with a big KOD on top of Banks. Belair celebrated and danced around the ring.
- Backstage, Rey Mysterio, with Dominik Mysterio, told Kayla Braxton that winning the King of the Ring tournament, other than being WWE Universal Champion, is the next best thing. He went on and said it would make him sick if Sami Zayn became King. Dominik told Rey he’s going to stay in the back and watch the match tonight.
- King of the Ring Tournament First Round Match: Sami Zayn defeated Rey Mysterio. Before the match, Zayn tried to influence Dominik who, in fact, interfered in the match when he tried removing a turnbuckle cover. After the match, Sami celebrated and went to the stage to celebrate with the throne, cape and crown.
- After a video package showing how Seth Rollins visited the home of WWE Hall of Famers Edge and Beth Phoenix last week, Kayla Braxton asked Rollins if he thinks he crossed the line. Rollins said that is the narrative, but let’s review the facts. He pointed to how Edge has mocked, ridiculed, embarrassed and humiliated him, but he still managed to beat Edge after SummerSlam. Is Rollins celebrated or venerated for that? Of course not, he’s called a monster and demonized, but that’s fine. Rollins said for the past few weeks he’s still been the bigger man, challenging Edge to figure out once and for all who’s the bigger man but we heard nothing from Edge. Rollins said he told Edge he was going to his house, and he did, to get an answer to his challenge. So, no, he hasn’t crossed any lines and more importantly, he still hasn’t received an answer to his challenge. Rollins didn’t even know why he’s talking to Kayla about this, she has no power to do anything about it. Rollins excused himself so he can go find someone who does have the power.
- Queen’s Crown Tournament First Round Match: Zelina Vega vs. Toni Storm.
- The Bloodline – WWE Universal Champion Roman Reigns, SmackDown Tag Team Champions The Usos, and Paul Heyman – in the ring. Reigns said Heyman had one job to do on RAW and that was to make sure his cousins stayed on SmackDown, and he did that. Reigns embraced Heyman. Reigns said he loves Heyman. Heyman loves his Tribal Chief. Reigns said The Usos also love Heyman, and he loves them. (violins, please) Reigns said Heyman is the wise man to The Bloodline, and right now he needed Heyman to be wise, and come clean. Reigns wanted Heyman to admit he’s responsible for Lesnar’s free agency, again. Heyman replied pretty violently. Heyman went on ranting and said only a stupid man would do that, and Reigns would never choose a stupid man to be his counsel. Heyman said Lesnar can’t stand the fact that at Crown Jewel, The Conqueror will be conquered by Roman. Reigns didn’t want Heyman to tell him, he wanted Heyman to look into the camera and tell Brock. Heyman addressed Lesnar and said he has to give him credit for teaching a lesson on this one. Heyman said Lesnar knows what will happen to him at Crown Jewel, they had this discussion years ago and Lesnar has met his match, Roman Reigns. Heyman went on about how Reigns will walk out of Crown Jewel as the champion, and “that’s not just a prediction, Brock, that’s a spoiler and you can believe that.” Heyman tossed the mic and dropped to his knees to present the Universal Title belt to Reigns.
- Seth Rollins approached Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville in the back. Rollins wanted to know if Edge is going to be here tonight or not. Pearce said Edge was scheduled to be here until Rollins went to his house last week. Rollins said he will be waiting in the ring at the end of the show for Edge’s answer, but it will be on Pearce and Deville if Edge doesn’t show up, and if he doesn’t, their little show won’t end well. Rollins said if Pearce and Deville do run into Edge before he does, he needs them to return something to him. He handed them a photo of Edge and Beth Phoenix kissing, which he lifted from their home last week.
- Queen’s Crown Tournament First Round Match: Carmella defeated Liv Morgan.
- Backstage, MACE told Kayla Braxton that to compete implies there is competition, and he didn’t see anyone on his level when he looked in the locker room, just prey. MACE said he’s not coming to SmackDown to compete, he’s coming to annihilate.
- Happy Baron Corbin with Madcap Moss entered for another must-see edition of Happy Talk. After a few jokes, Kevin Owens made his way to the ring but was stopped by Moss. He beat him up and brawled with Corbin. Moss came back and drove Owens into the mat with his inverted Cutter. Corbin and Moss continued laughing, standing over Owens.
- Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville were backstage. Naomi walked in and wondered why she’s not in the Queen’s Crown Tournament. Deville said Naomi isn’t worthy of being a queen or even on the SmackDown roster. Naomi protested and they had some words. Deville said she’s not done with Naomi on SmackDown just yet. Deville said Naomi has a match next week. Naomi asks against who. Me. Naomi said it’s on.
- King of the Ring Tournament First Round Match: Finn Balor defeated Cesaro.
- Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville were backstage with SmackDown Women’s Champion Becky Lynch now. Becky ranted, saying SmackDown is her domain, and Pearce and Deville need to put some respect on her name. She was not happy with Sasha Banks and Bianca Belair getting a title shot at Crown Jewel. She went on about responding to everything asked of her, and being the best. Deville got upset, so she flattered Lynch who finally signed the contract.
- Rollins, in the ring, was waiting for Edge. Rollins tells Edge to come on. What happened to The Rated-R Superstar and The Ultimate Opportunist? Rollins laughed and said he knows what happened to that guy – Rollins ended him with one stomp at Madison Square Garden, and if you won’t show up and answer the challenge, then Rollins is going to take that as an admission that Rollins is not Edge Lite, and is better than Edge is every possible way. Rolins continued on Edge being a disappointment for the fans and his daughters. Until Edge appeared on the big screen, jumped out of the car, rushed to the ring and grabbed a chair. Rollins ate the Spear. Edge threw him to the announce table over the announce table and beat him around the ringside area. Rollins had the headset wires wrapped around him and Edge uses it against him. Edge brought Rollins in the ring, then stopped to break the bottom steel rod off the chair. Edge tried to use it with the Crossface but Rollins elbowed him in the neck. Rollins retreated to the floor as Edge took the mic and proposed a Hell In a Cell match against Rollins. Rollins and Edge stared each other down.
That was a build-up episode for Crown Jewel that will be the only PPV in October. The last 10 minutes of the show, with Edge’s frantic eyes and Rollins’ despicable attitude, were the ones to watch. In fact, the 3 pics below are good enough to sum up the whole show. If you saw them, then you saw it all.
All pics and videos courtesy of WWE